Fortaleza Esporte Clube, usually known as Fortaleza, is primarily a football club, but is active in other sports such as futsal, handball and basketball. Fortaleza Esporte Clube is based in Fortaleza, capital of the State of Ceara, Brazil. The club was founded on October 18, 1918.
Fortaleza is one of the most traditional clubs in the Northeastern region of Brazil alongside Bahia, Vitoria, Santa Cruz, Sport, Nautico and Ceara, its biggest rival. The club's colors are red, blue and white.
On 23 February 1912, Alcides Santos founded a club called Fortaleza, and participated shortly after in the founding of the Stella Foot-Ball Club. Finally on 18 October 1918 Fortaleza Sporting Club is born, first denomination of the Fortaleza Esporte Clube. Its colors represent the colors of the French flag, since the founder spent time in France and decided to put the colors of the European country in the Brazilian club.
In 1920, they participated in the foundation of the Associacao Cearense de Desportos. That same year they got their first Cearense Championship title.
In 1951, the Municipality of Fortaleza decided to renovate the Presidente Vargas Stadium. The idea of having a private stadium was reborn in the board since it had its own stadium during the 1920s.
In 1957, the club acquired from the land in Bairro do Pici from Mrs. Hedwing, which during the Second World War was where the American military base was in Fortaleza, called Post Command ( Command Post), hence the name Pici, transfers it to the Club of Gentilandia in exchange for the new neighborhood. It changed its name to Leao do Pici, a reference to the neighborhood where the Parque dos Campeonatos is located.
The Alcides Santos Stadium opened its doors in June 1962, beating Usina Ceara in the inaugural match.
This page also has a version in other languages: Форталеза (russian)